DICE have announced some initial details of the spring patch that is due to hit Battlefield 4 later this month. Below are what we know so far, but they promise to release full patch notes closer to the time.
When will it be available?
There are no dates as yet, except “end of May”, however, there is currently a week long 2XP in progress, in DICE’s words “to rank up before the spring patch arrives”. It ends on Monday 25th May – updates are usually on a Tuesday, so I’d expect the spring patch to be available on Tuesday 26th May. The patch will be available on Tuesday 26th Mayi.
Five New Weapons
Some of the weapons are old fan favourites, others were picked based on their unique gameplay aspects. These are the five new weapons:
- New fan favourite Assault Rifle – Picked based on its unique burst gameplay and massive fan desirability
- New Carbine – A unique bullpup carbine with built-in vertical grip
- New PDW – A unique PDW with built-in silencer
- New Sidearm -Unique long range “sniper” sidearm using magnum rounds
- New LMG -Magazine fed LMG, which with the new weapons balance, plays in between a belt-fed LMG and an AR – your “run and gun” LMG
Full Weapons Balance Pass
DICE have also revamped the damage, falloff and suppression model. They’ve touched every single weapon in the game and how they play. Their goal has been to create distinct roles for the weapon classes, and award skill of the player through increased recoil and by bringing back the 2-bullet headshot (not a popular decision, based on player’s reactions to the announcement so far!).
A representation of the new damage, falloff and suppression model
If you are interested in more details on what has been changed in relation to weapons, you can visit the Community Test Environment subreddit (Open Weapon Balance wikipage).
Return of Gun Master
Next up, they’re bringing back Gun Master game mode, which was last seen in Battlefield 3: Close Quarters. Gun Master is played like a Team Deathmatch game. The twist is that you don’t get to choose the weapons used but you swap weapons every time you get two consecutive kills on an opponent. Whoever is the first player to get a kill with the final weapon wins.
The mode will contain the following five presets with at most 18 different weapons in each:
- Standard – This setup contains rifles, machine guns, shotguns and pistols and ends with the M9 bayonet
- Classic – Classic rifles, machine guns, shotguns and pistols ending with a M9 bayonet
- Pistol – In this preset you can only use different kind of pistols, ending with the survival knife
- DLC – This mode will let you play with DLC weapons – including the Phantom bow
- Troll – Seeing how Gun Master is a “party mode”, DICE felt they had to make a silly weapon list too! This one starts out with ballistic shields (as weapons) and it’s downhill from there
Personally, I’m looking forward to trying the “troll” preset 😉
PC Stability & Netcode Updates
Lastly, they’ve set out to significantly improve client stability on all platforms and have applied fixes for the most frequently occurring crashes on each. For PC crashes, they’ve used the Battlefield 4 Community Test Environment to confirm the fixes already. The focus has been on crashes and issues with the game client and server – not crashes related to outdated graphics driversii.
- revealed yesterday as a “ticker” update on Battlelog, but since removed
- they therefore urge all players to update their graphics driver to the latest stable versions, keeping overclocking to a minimum for the best results