In September, Night Operations will begin. A new map, Zavod: Graveyard Shift, based on Zavod 311, brings with it several improvements and tweaks to allow for more stealthy and tactical gameplay.
Touching things like passive/active spotting to make it easier to flank your opponent, they’ve also improved the sound system so you can pinpoint where those footsteps come from. Additionally, they’ve given the gadgets and tools of the night an improvement pass to make them shine in the dark (but less so during the day).
Here are a few of the changes you’ll experience, compared to its daytime counterpart…
- Destructible lights – At night, the map is littered with destructible lights, which you can use to your advantage. Want to make sure you gain the upper hand using night vision scopes? Take all lights out in an area and prey on your enemies!
- Ground Level fog – At night, the exterior areas are blanketed in a thick fog – this fog makes it very hard to spot players on the ground from above – unless you sport a night vision scope…
- Vehicle lights – All vehicles have lights, which makes anyone inside an easy target – don’t use vehicles if you want to stay hidden!
- Flanking routes – With darkness descending on the map, using flanking routes on the side of the map is a very viable tactic to get around the center area and take a backside objective from the enemy.
Battlefield 4 Night Operations will be available worldwide, except EU, on the 1st September. It will be available to the EU one week later on the 8th September.
Wherever you may be the patch that inevitably precedes it will be available on the 1st September.
Zavod: Graveyard Shift supports the standard game modes: Conquest, Rush, Team Deathmatch, Obliteration, Domination and Gun Master. When playing Gun Master (which plays very differently at night), it was realized it could do with a second, even darker layout – one with a special new Weapons Preset specifically tailored for nighttime. So, they made one – the first we’ve had a secondary layout to a map for any game mode. The new Gun Master weapon preset has night vision and utility in mind – use to practice night time play if you haven’t unlocked all the needed gadgets yet.
Stealth Gameplay and Tactics
Battlefield 4 Night Operations includes several improvements to “gadgets of the night” and their usability on the Battlefield. What clues you give will be vitally important when playing Zavod: Graveyard shift.
- Sprinting – Gets you quickly from point A to B, but makes footstep sounds which makes you easy to pinpoint and prey on.
- Vehicle usage – Being in a vehicle normally means relative safety, but headlights and engine sounds put a rather large target on your back
- Flashlight, laser, and other weapon attachments – While great help in an engagement, they draw attention to your position and exact location
Recommended Combinations & Counters
- Smoke + Nightvision scopes – Chuck a smoke grenade into an area and using your night vision scope to pick off unsuspecting enemies. This works best in narrow passages, like the underground tunnel between C & D for instance.
- Flare + LMG – Used as a Smoke + Nightvision counter, Flares negate the positive aspects of night vision scopes, and you’ll be able to blanket the area with bullets as it’s engulfed in smoke.
- Flashbangs + Shotgun/PDW – A tactic viable in both day and nighttime play. Using a flashbang against a night scope user gives you a significant advantage in the dark, even more so than using a flashbang under normal conditions. Clean it up with a well-placed shotgun blast and you’re deadlier than ever.
- Dirty, dirty claymores & mines – Claymores are very effective at nighttime, especially if you are being hunted. Remember to use sounds to your advantage, or why not your flashlight? AT Mines are also very effective in negating that pesky tank, but they do have a new little red blinky light attached to them, so you’re not all out of luck if you’re controlling a vehicle if you keep your eyes peeled!
While the focus of the release has been night gameplay, several other improvements and new features are included as well. There’s a new public server team balancer, some weapons tweaks, and additional netcode improvements.